Confused about what it means when altcoins go "on sale"

So the markets are down and there are all these memes saying "buy, buy, buy".

Well I want to pick up some alts (e.g. OMG, ARK, 0x) now that they're "on sale".

The thing is though, you can only buy these alts on exchanges with BTC/ETH. And since BTC/ETH are down, and the alts prices are correlated with these (at least with ETH), yes, I can exchange some ETH for OMG but it's definitely not "on sale." In fact, I would be throwing 1 ETH at OMG and just getting a lot fewer OMG in return than I would have three days ago. I know I can (and should) buy some more ETH while it's low and could spend that, but am I not better off holding that ETH and waiting for it to go back up 10-15% than I am gambling on an alt?

I considered buying alts with BTC (BTC is down 6% while the alts are down 15%+ in USD, though in the case of OMG it's down 0% in relation to BTC according to coinmarketcap, while ARK is down 10% in relation to BTC. Does this indicate that exchanging my BTC to ARK now would be a "good buy"? Though tbh it sketches me out trading BTC/alt pairs because of the huge BTC transaction fees just moving BTC to an exchange and back to my wallet. the $5 there and $5 back probably offsets the "sale" price in comparison to ETH, doesn't it?

Anyway, clearly I'm confused and in need of some advice.

So can anyone ELI5 the best strategy to buy these coins when they're "on sale"? Thanks.

submitted by /u/Xombie11
[link] [comments]

Read More

Popular posts from this blog

World Economic Forum Bitcoin Discussions Validate the Movement