[Help] I lost 11 BTC from my 16 BTC stack last year, I need advice to build my portfolio

Throwaway for obvious reasons.

I started investing in Crypto in March 2016 after being skeptical about it. After reading book or two about Bitcoin and all its benefits I was excited (and I still am). I decided to make a long term investment and took 20% of my FIAT to invest in Bitcoin.

I took the plunge and bought 16 Bitcoins @ $550 ~ $680 between march and june 2016, but then I discovered Poloniex I got greedy and I started trading being a noob. I didn't know a thing about trading and started investing in "shit-coins" to make a quick buck — well oh well — long story short I lost a whopping 11 Bitcoins (@ ~$615), 28 ETH (@ ~$11) and 50 XMR (@ ~$8) as the result of my incompetence when trying to profit from P&D alt-coins and panic selling ETH/XMR. I was in total shock and devastated.

I leaved the rest of my BTCs in a HW and forgot about it for a year; seriously, I didn't even watched the whole market for a year because I was so pissed off, then a friend — who's into day trading — persuaded me to try to break my losses and make some profit and here I am again. No pain, no gain. Am I rite?

Anyway, my view have changed significantly, I don't have plans to buy alt-coins to make a quick buck, I'm planning to invest long term and watch my portfolio grow.

Every single coin I owned in 2016 grew by a very good margin (XMR, ETH, MAID, BTC, DASH), I could've made some nice profit, but, as I said, I wasn't here for long term investing (except for BTC).

Now, in 2017 with BTC rounding $2300 I have my initial investment back, but I don't want to cash out, I want to distribute some of my coins in good alt-coins.

Some I may hold for a year, others for two years, etc.

My current portfolio is:

  • BTC: 93.21%

  • ETH: 6.79%

Some of the alt-coins I've been considering and watching/studying:

  • XMR: 100% private, long term investment. I like the philosophy of XMR, unfortunately I panic sold all my XMR.

  • SC: A bit skeptical, because I don't know how the whole Sia network can compete with Google, Amazon S3, etc. Storage is getting cheaper and cheaper and I don't have a use case for this technology.

  • NEM: ETH-like but Written in Java, with a C++ version in the works. Should I say more? I've been reading a lot about how Ethereum's Solidity is so difficult even for well seasoned software developers, as a software developer myself I'm more interested in current developing and well stablished technologies as Java, Kotlin, C++, JavaScript.

  • BAT: Brendan Eich, the creator of JavaScript is behind this project which is baked into a new browser called Brave and their idea is very very good. As a JavaScript'er Brendan Eich is someone you would trust. This is a potential very long term investment, why long term? 1. Because is not easy to replace Chrome, 2. The days before mass adoption of Brave are far far away.

  • XRP: Backed by financial institutions, designed to increase global liquidity of money by allowing transfers around the world to take place at record speeds and for very little in terms of fees, yada yada yada, I'm not sold yet but I'll be watching it closely.

  • PIVX: It's new and has potential to grow a lot. The Point of Sale device looks fake and useless, though, I mean why would I use a new device if I can transfer/receive money from whatever smart phone out there? I'm skeptical and I'll be watching closely.

  • REP: I don't have much info about this one and not sure how it will work but I've been reading nice things about it.

  • STRAT: Any valuation is purely speculative and it doesn't support Smart Contracts yet but it will. C# instead of Solidity and because of this it may attract some big players.

  • IOTA: I personally believe it won't work, IoT is not ready for mass adoption. Not trying to spread FUD, just my personal opinion.

  • LTC: I like what Charlie Lee have been doing and I personally believe in LTC as long term investment.

TL;DR: I'm looking for advice to build my alt-coin portfolio and watch it grow in the next 1-2y term. Cryptos are in downtrend, should I wait or diversify asap?

Thanks in advance!

submitted by /u/throwaway0907162016
[link] [comments]

Read More

Popular posts from this blog

World Economic Forum Bitcoin Discussions Validate the Movement