Recommendation: Be very careful when deciding which email address to use when registering at an exchange, details inside.

This last week has been extremely stressful for me. Exactly 7 days ago, I stopped receiving withdrawal confirmation emails from liqui exchange. At first I figured it was a minor outage in their email system, but after a few days full blown panic set in. Because there were no other reports of this, I thought it might be selective scamming.

My email is on a custom domain that I own to look more professional, as is common among techies. I simply have it set up to forward to my gmail, and also have the ability to send-mail-as through my gmail as well. I have never had a problem with it before.

Apparently (and not too surprisingly) some registrars run spam filtering on their mail server before forwarding the message along. Because I had received many withdrawal confirmation emails in the past, and they all look very, very similar, it must have been flagged as spam, because they stopped coming through. This morning, the same thing happened to emails from another exchange as well.

I had been waiting on my registrar's support team to investigate the issue and hopefully whitelist the sender, but this morning figured enough was enough and setup my own mail server. Voila, emails coming through again.

Moral of the story: I'd recommend using an email service either completely under your control, or one that does not invisibly filter spam for you (like gmail, I think). Any simple forwarding you have setup via your registrar is likely susceptible to this sort of outage. Also, it is important to be able to send-mail-as, for dealing with support sometimes requires the sender to be the account holder.

submitted by /u/drewshaver
[link] [comments]

Read More

Popular posts from this blog

World Economic Forum Bitcoin Discussions Validate the Movement