Poloniex account hacked, $25.000 stolen

On June 28th my Poloniex account got hacked. Within 2 hours 10 BTC where stolen.

Since email verification is used for performing withdraws, the hacker could not directly withdraw my money. The hacker used the web interface to do some very loss-making trading, against a second account doing the opposite, and making the profit.

I have exported the trades, and put them in a graph. One can see the very bad strategy: sell low, buy high...

I post my story for three reasons:

  • Protect your account well! Use Two factor authentication! As lasy as I am, I didn't do this, too much hassle to grab your phone each time. Despite I don't know how they got my e-mail and password, this would have protected my account, and saved me $25.000!

  • It's very instructive to see how fast you can lose money on a market with a shallow market depth.

  • Try to get Poloniex handle my tickets. As we all know, Poloniex has a hard time handling the user requests. But it is important that Poloniex tracks the counter account making the profit. If the funds are still there, they need the get frozen.

PLEASE give this post up-votes to get some pressure on Poloniex to handle my tickets! Ticket number: #279231

submitted by /u/Stamppot82
[link] [comments]

Read More

Popular posts from this blog

World Economic Forum Bitcoin Discussions Validate the Movement