Crypto Tax Question (Determining Short vs. Long Term Capital Gains For ICOs)

Hi All,

Looking to understand whether I would pay short or long term capital gains taxes as it relates to ICOs.

I know the short term is <1 year while long term is >1 year but when does the clock begin. Is it from the day I invested in an ICO or the day the coins were distributed (nearly a month after the ICO)?

For what its worth, I have clear records of me sending BTC to the ICO deposit address. However, the records on me receiving the coins are a bit off as I didn't claim my coins until well after they were distributed by the altcoin team.

For reference the IRS defines holding period as: "To determine how long you held the asset, count from the day after the day you acquired the asset up to and including the day you disposed of the asset"

Thanks!

submitted by /u/dsteo123
[link] [comments]

Read More

Popular posts from this blog

World Economic Forum Bitcoin Discussions Validate the Movement